The combination of Andretti Autosport and Bryan Herta Autosport proved to be a formidable combination in 2016 and the Indianapolis 500 race-winning partnership will continue next season.
Andretti Autosport announced Sept. 30 that it has extended its partnership with Bryan Herta Autosport through the 2017 season.
“We’re happy to have Bryan (Herta and his team) back with the team for 2017,” said Michael Andretti, owner of Andretti Autosport. “His team fits well into our family and we are excited to see continued growth and success with the partnership. Bryan is a long- time friend and a true asset to our organization. We are eager to see what next season has in store.”
The partnership which resulted in a Sunoco Rookie of the Year-winning campaign for Alexander Rossi flourished despite coming together just prior to the 2016 Verizon IndyCar Series season.
The highlight came at the 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500 where the Andretti – Herta entry, piloted by Rossi, scored an improbable win through the strategy calls of Herta, who competed as a driver for Andretti Autosport from 2003-2006.
With a jump-start on the 2017 campaign, Herta will remain actively involved with overall Andretti team strategy.
“I am super thrilled to continue our partnership with Andretti Autosport,” Herta said. “We have a lot of exciting plans for the team throughout the off-season that I know can only make us more competitive for the 2017 season.
“Last year came together quite late, but this year we’ve committed early and that can only help better prepare us for next season. On a personal note – I would like to thank Michael (Andretti) and JF (Thormann) and the entire Andretti Autosport organization for welcoming our team into the family. I am 100 percent committed to helping the entire team in every way possible in order to see Andretti Autosport in Winner’s Circle many times next year.”