Pocono Raceway announces INDYCAR extension through 2018

Updated: 

Pocono Raceway, home to the next race on the 2016 Verizon IndyCar Series schedule, will remain on the calendar through 2018, as announced today by track president and CEO Brandon Igdalsky.

“The Tricky Triangle,” a 2.5-mile triangular oval, will host the ABC Supply 500 weekend on Aug. 20-21. Race dates for 2017 and 2018 will be announced at a later date.

“We are thrilled to share this great news that we will host the Verizon IndyCar Series through 2018,” Igdalsky said. “Our track was originally designed for open-wheel cars and our fans really enjoy the action on the track. When you see these cars going six and seven wide, it is incredible. We also received positive feedback from teams and drivers and worked together with INDYCAR to make sure Pocono Raceway stays on the schedule.”

Indy car racing enjoys a storied history at Pocono. This year’s race will be the 23rd in the Pennsylvania track’s history, with previous events run from 1971-89 and every year since 2013. A.J. Foyt, the all-time leader in Indy car wins with 67, also holds the record for most Pocono victories with four.

Other winners at the three-turn oval include the likes of Mario Andretti, Rick Mears, Bobby Rahal, Johnny Rutherford, Danny Sullivan and Al Unser.

"We're thrilled to announce today's two-year extension with Pocono Raceway, an iconic oval track with a long history of hosting great open-wheel racing events,” said Jay Frye, INDYCAR president of competition and operations. “It's very clear that Pocono is one of the favorites amongst the drivers, teams and fans of the Verizon IndyCar Series and we look forward to competing there for the foreseeable future. We'd also like to thank Brandon Igdalsky and his entire team for all their efforts to make this event a success and we look forward to our race there on Aug. 21."

Ryan Hunter-Reay is the defending race champion and happy to hear news of the extension.

The on-track show, the product we put on here last year was phenomenal,” said Hunter-Reay, driver of the No. 28 DHL Honda for Andretti Autosport. “Lead changes throughout the race, six wide throughout the straights, passing throughout the field. You couldn’t ask for a better product and hopefully we can do it again for the fans.”

The extension news takes on added meaning for Andretti Autosport driver Marco Andretti, who hails from nearby Nazareth, Pa.

“This is my home track so selfishly this is great news,” Andretti said. “There is a great, long history of racing here at Pocono Raceway and I am excited we will continue to come back. I think our cars were made for this track.”

Scott Dixon won at Pocono in 2013 to kick-start the run to his third Verizon IndyCar Series championship. The driver of the No. 9 Target Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet added a fourth season title in 2015 and is glad Pocono will remain part of the series’ fabric in the future.

“Pocono Raceway needs to be a place we visit each year,” Dixon said, “and to build on the product we need to come here for a while. We need some longevity here.”

Tickets for this year’s ABC Supply 500 start at $25 for adults and $12.50 for children ages 12 and under. They may be purchased online www.poconoraceway.com or by calling (800) RACEWAY.

From the fans